Thread: archy
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Your TV is too underpowered and too short for anything but a 2720 or smaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Attention you TM experts; I am in the market for a used TM.Since there are several models and varying lengths/weights I need your opinon on the proper to buy for my tow vehicle. I have a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac V6 with a 4.0 engine 2wd.The plate on the drivers side post tell me I have a GVWR 5840 with a front GAWR 2900 and a rear GAWR 3200.Would an oil and transmission cooler be necessary to pull a larger model.I live along the front range in Colorado and would pull the trailer in the mountains at times over steep passes.

Thank you all in advance.....Archy
A transmission cooler will be necessary to pull even the smallest TM model over the Colorado mountains.

Towing any TM with 4 liter V6 over Colorado's mountains is a way less than pleasant experience. I know...I tried to tow a 2720SL for 2 years with a 4L Jeep. You'll be down to about 25~45 mph on every long climb...and watching your engine temp climb the entire time. You simply do not have either the torque or the wheelbase to satisfactorily or safely tow anything larger than a 2619 or maybe a 2720. Don't even think about trying a 3023 or larger.

After the 2nd unhappy year of towing, I traded my Jeep for a 4.7L V8 Toyota Tundra (325 ft-lbs torque with 3.92 axle stock). Even that was barely enough power to stay with traffic on the climbs. After about $4000 worth of performance modifications (see my signature), I've now got a truck that will quite nicely pull my 2720SL over any pass in the state.

If you're content with crawling over the passes at 25 to 35 mph with the engine at 4000 RPM in 1st or 2nd gear, your Explorer will be adequate for a 2720 or smaller. Don't even think about anything larger/heavier.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote