Thread: Diesel vs Gas
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 05:49 AM   #8
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
OK, I just got back from 2,300 mile trip towing my TM, that took me to the Grand Canyon, Zion NP, cross the Rockies to Fort Collins and then back across the Rockies home to San Diego. My Ecoboost, on 87, averaged 14.3 MPG on cruise control set between 62 to 65mph, using my Tow/haul feature the entire trip. More than my old truck could have dreamed of.

I think that is decent mileage for a 4x4 towing a TM. My mileage without towing averages 17.4 mpg on flat Socal roads with 80% highway and 20% stop & go city. Again that is a lot better numbers that I got out of my '03 F150 w/ the 5.4L v8.
I agree that those are excellent towing mpg numbers! I could live with those, but I've read on other forums from Ecoboost owners that they are getting around 9 mpg while towing. I couldn't live with that. I'm guessing that I have a heavier total load (3124KS versus 2720) than you, which will effect overall mpg, but I drive about the same speed, which is also a major contributor to mpg, especially while towing.

My truck is primarily a tow vehicle (it is the third vehicle in a two person family), so non-towing mpg aren't as important to me.

Maybe some of the other Ecoboost TM members will join in with their experiences in towing mpg?

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote