Thread: Diesel vs Gas
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

OK, I just got back from 2,300 mile trip towing my TM, that took me to the Grand Canyon, Zion NP, cross the Rockies to Fort Collins and then back across the Rockies home to San Diego. My Ecoboost, on 87, averaged 14.3 MPG on cruise control set between 62 to 65mph, using my Tow/haul feature the entire trip. More than my old truck could have dreamed of.

I think that is decent mileage for a 4x4 towing a TM. My mileage without towing averages 17.4 mpg on flat Socal roads with 80% highway and 20% stop & go city. Again that is a lot better numbers that I got out of my '03 F150 w/ the 5.4L v8.

Good mileage is a relative term. Sure I could have gotten better MPG, if I would have waited to get the new Ecodiesel that Dodge just came out with, but I don't like Dodge trucks. So why would someone want to buy and drive a vehicle that they don't like, just to get better fuel mileage? Short answer is, they wouldn't.

As far as wanting to have a deep discussion about the pros and cons, I prefer to just pack it up and "go camping", rather than clutter my mind with "what if's and why's". But to each their own.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote