View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
T and C
TrailManor Master

I figured out years ago that you can refurbish the appearance and basic running gear of just about any Amercan vehicle for 5-6,000 dollars. There is a lot of truth in the old saying, "The cheapest vehicle is the one you have right now."

We all love the adventure of finding a new vehicle, and we love the pleasure of driving it. However, at 4-500 dollars a month for car payments the cost of new and late model used vehicles adds up rapidly.

"This car is going to nickle and dime me to death" is a common complaint. However, I figure that a three or four hundred dollar repair a few times a year adds up to a lot less than say, $4800 to $6000 a year. Thats what the 4 or 5 hundred dollar a month payments add up to annually. Then of course there is depreciation and interest costs.

If that van has had its timing chain replaced and the water pump replaced too, it well might go 200,000 miles before needing a rebuild. Plus you have already done the tranny and paint.

It is a matter of personal preference and economic status. But for sheer economy barring other factors...fix up what you have.

Thats my .02.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote