View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 01:55 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have taken apart that side-panel-to-front-panel joint in the front end of my TM. As I recall, there should be big lag screws in all of these holes. They connect the frame of the side panel to the frame of the front (or in your case, back) panel. Once the proper lag screws are in place, there is a piece of corner molding (missing in your pic) that covers the gap area, making it look nice, and sealing water out.

I suggest that you poke around in the gap area, pry a little bit so you can see what is going on behind the scenes, try to see what the lag screws would screw into, and what the holes look like. Your picture shows the frame of (I think) the side panel, and it appears to be aluminum. That's good.The big question will be whether the frame of the other panel is also aluminum - or is it wood? TM was making a switch from wood framing to aluminum framing in that time frame - my 2002 2720 was all aluminum.

If the hidden framework is aluminum, you are in good shape. You need to get some steel lag bolts big enough to screw firmly into the hidden framework. I cannot tell you what size they should be - you should be able to determine the appropriate length by probing the depth of the holes, then get a few different different lag screw diameters and see which one won't go in by hand, but needs a wrench to screw it in.

Put a lag screw in every hole, maybe with a blob of silicone caulk under and around the head to keep it from turning. Then get the piece of molding from TM. I'm assuming your other corners have the appropriate molding in place, so you will know what to get. It may turn out that TM has only black molding available today, so you may have to paint what you get.

If the hidden framing is wood, the situation is different. Let us know.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote