View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 08:19 AM   #4
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re: Private Campgrounds

Quote:
This sounds like Thousand Trails, Escapees and others.  In my opinion, you have to do an awful lot of camping in given locations to justify the membership cost.
------------snip----------------.
Coast to Coast, RPI, et. al.

These Membership Campgrounds are fine for those of us who can use them. If one travels all over the U.S. & Canada, they can result in significant savings. They are also secure, and have a central reservation system. I've not found it difficult to lay out a straight line from home to the final destination and find RPI sites which don't require diverting much from the shortest distance. On the other hand, I rarely WANT to travel on a beeline. Being retired has its upside.

The key is getting a HOME PARK more than 150 miles out of your local area. The home park is used at no charge, but any park within 150 miles of it are off limits. All the others outside the no-stay-zone cost $5 per day. On a 2 week trip, the savings can be a significant. The annual dues are easily covered in one week!

Works for me. My point for HT, is that, within a few miles of Western VA there are nine RPI campgrounds. If his home park were in, say GA, then he would only pay $5 at each VA/NC park. Thirty days a year, at a savings of $15 per stay = $450. Payback in 18 months. From then on, 7 days per year covers home park dues, and another 4 times covers annual RPI dues.

Works for me.    Everybody is different. So justification is based on an individual's needs.

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote