View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #66
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourteener View Post
I've been told the 14" will be sufficient to get me to the next town that is enought to fix/replace a tire (sort of like the small donuts most cars are equiped with in the trunk).
The 14-inch spare should be good for more than limp-home. It should be good for anything that the TM factory intended you to do with the original 14-inch tires - after all, it is exactly the same TM with exactly the same tire.

The reason you converted to 15-inch tires is that the 14-inchers were marginal for regular use, of course. But the conversion doesn't make them any more marginal.

Of course if you have a flat on a 15-inch tire and put the spare on in its place, you no longer have a spare. So just based on that alone, I wouldn't drive hundreds of miles. But the spare ahould be good for it, assuming it is properly inflated and not over aged.

On a TM, the two wheels are independent, meaning that the tires are not mounted on a common axle shaft. So the fact that they won't rotate at the same speed shouldn't cause any problems. And I don't think that the small side-to-side height difference (about 1/2 inch) will cause any problems, although I suppose over a long haul it might cause a bit of edge wear. WMTire may have better advice, which I will be glad to see.

Use care when travelling without a "spare" spare - but not fear.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote