View Single Post
Old 04-11-2023, 02:03 PM   #15
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default I have two solar controllers, different locations.

The "new and little one" supports the 200W panel on the rear shell. That panel is mounted with the length going street side to curb side, because a 2619 rear shell has only about 30" of shell roof sticking out in closed position.

The solar controller for the "tiny" rear shell handles only my single 200w panel. That SCC is hidden in under-the-bathtub-ledge space, next to the WFCO. (I hope to never see it again.) I have the solar wires coming down the street side rear lift arm, all by themselves.

My larger front shell solar controller handle the other panels, all on the front shell. On a really great day they can reach around 450 watts at "noon".

My rear shell mounting of a solid panel SIDEWAYS had issues.

The far rear roof line of the shell, just above the bend, has only a slight incline from the street side and curb side edges. With extra layers of VHB tape in the rear corner mounts, I was able to make decent contact with 4 mounts along the TM back edge.

But the "front long side" of long aluminum+glass mounted this way has to mount flat over a much more curved section of roof,so I used only 2 mounts for the front "long side" of my panel (in the shadow of he front-panel mounted Air Conditioner).

This is much weaker than my flex panel mounts, but I do not anticipate any issues. (I taped down all of my flex panels around the entire perimeter, with gaps, using 4-6x more VHB surface area than the six Z brackets provide.)

A pair of mounting bars, crossing the full width of the panels plus a couple of extra inches on either side, could also have a lot more contact areas with the roof. But I have no idea where to buy only 6 feet of such mounting at low cost.