View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 12:26 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post
Sounds like you spent some fun weekends in the sun. 😁 I have been in tye same boat. Different projects though. This project def. looks complex and one that requires alot of thinking through with steps list and parts list as well.

I tell you one thing, I would miss my outdoor utility cab storage as I use every inch of it for tools and outside access. I suppose I could convert the hall cabinet into a utility or a solar cabinet by installing a similar RV style hatch/door. But then the battery weight would be more centered on the back bumper for solar. Venting for the battery here would have to be planned. The door at the end of the hall could be permanently shut and become a decorative pannel inside the TM.
The LiFeP04 battery doesn't gas off so there is no need for venting. Supposedly, they can be mounted anywhere, in any direction. It's common for people to mount them standing on end. They take up about the same space as the original TM battery (series 24). Mine could have taken up a lot less space. I used the battery box that I had my 2- 6V golf cart batteries in. I had to put a lot of Styrofoam around it to pack it in.

The problem that you would have with putting the battery (and inverter) in that cabinet is that you would have to drill a hole from that cabinet to the outside cabinet, then another hole from the back of the outside cabinet to the space where the converter is. Not a big deal, just one of those small details that will have to be considered for wire routing and equipment mounting. You will want the inverter as close a possible to the battery.

Lot's of parts pieces to consider. I highly recommend that automatic transfer switch. I helped a friend convert his motorhome. His MH had a separate circuit breaker for the converter, so when he wanted to use the inverter, he just had to remember to switch off the converter breaker. Then, he had to have a shut-off switch for the 110V power cable from the inverter to the converter breaker to keep from getting 110V feedback when he was hooked to shore power. He forgot one of the switches. Melted the circuit board in the (new) inverter and darn near caused a fire.

Another place to consider for the inverter (and other components) is on the back of the camper, under the rear bed, It's great for keeping it cool. it's protected from the weather and it's totally covered when the roof is down. There's quite a bit of space between the back wall of the camper and the inside of the back wall on the rear roof.