Thread: Minivan or not?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 09:41 PM   #4
Windbreaker

Default Re:Minivan or not?

I know you don't want to hear this and that there are a lot of folks here that will not agree but I have found that I am, and sure you will be too, happier with the largest truck/van/SUV you can swing to pull any trailer with.

The reasons for this are simple. First, camping takes gear and the more you camp the more gear you will get (I think that is some kind of law). Second, your family is growing and if you are like most of us, you and your wife are also (not that I would ever notice if my wife were are not). Third, when driving we all have a duty to the safety of all others on the road as well as our loved ones (therefore if is there is any question, I wouldn't).

Now for the kicker. Keep the windstar for running around town (less fuel - better for the environment and pocket book). But when you get the big van (with your size family I would suggest the van) don't let it set for more than a week at a time with driving it a little, all those seals and things have to be kept wet or they break under the first pressure. (I found that out by letting a old truck set over the winter - every seal in it blew within the first 100 miles after starting to drive it again in the spring.)

I know we are talking big bucks here but in the long run, if you can swing it, you will not be sorry.