View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 08:14 AM   #15
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default You need a BIG inverter to run a microwave. 3000 continuous/6000 peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4fun View Post
I have 200ah capacity from 2 Lithium batteries (100ah) connected to (3) 100W rooftop Solar panels with a 30amp controller. I have very low loads, most everything is 12v/LED, and few AC loads for my system (air con. & microwave are all I can think of). USB plugs, chargers & computer/TV stuff is accounted for in the 12V loads.

Originally, I was going to purchase a small 12v autoplug 300w power inverter to have around in case I needed it for something (charging a drill, tire compressor, etc). i could also use it in my vehicle.

But I was thinking further that I possible could use our 700W microwave for 1-4 minutes occasionally every 2-3 days just for defrost or reheating foods. Would a 1000W to 2000W inverter handle this load sufficiently, and it be compatible with my solar 12v system as explained above?
Microwave ovens create highly reactive loads. (The actual power draw is not "nicely" related to the 60 Hz sine wave of voltage being provided, it is largely out of phase.)

The problem is a bit like rotor start-up on motors, but a reactive load creates peak versus average problems continuously (not just during start-up). A 1000W RMS inverter (with roughly 2000 peak watts) would get burned out after only a few uses. I have a similar microwave oven, described as "800 watts", and installed a much larger inverter 3000w/6000w very large inverter to handle that load, as well as the Air Conditioner in unusually hot afternoon circumstances with good sunlight. I have a lot more LFP battery storage than you do, and the air conditioner has an added startup-assistance device.