View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

OTOH a live diesel that wasn't re-engined with an Olds 350 gas engine and is still running is a definite collectors item (and if it did receive the Olds 350 gas engine that is far superior to the 307. I'd take the diesel today in a New York minute.

I can think of worse engines (copper cooled chevvy) but no other that singlehandedly destroyed the diesel market in this country for a generation.

ps no one mentioned the LT1 distributer issue ? Have a friend with a Roadmaster who has been through four or five.

pps the problem was a combo of bad diesel and no water separator. The water caused a cylinder lock and kablewie. Add to that the fact that the Olds 350 was a very modern engine but lacked all of the block ridgidity of a diesel so a kablewie usually involved a broken crank (could break those cranks by dropping them).

p3s I used to tow with a Pontiac 400/4bbl and a THM400 through a 3.08 posi. 12.5 mpg on 87 PON towing or with AC on or 15 without. Like most cars of the time this was an "economy" axle and was turning 3,000 rpm at 70 mph. Won tow car races.