View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
brulaz

Hmmm. Our indicator colours are green and red. We keep one of our tank valves closed (and the tank full in reserve). When I turn the handle to it, the flag rapidly changes to red (because of the closed valve) and green when I open the valve. When I turn it back to the open tank I currently get about half red. IIRC that one used to be closer to all green, but I have no idea how accurate the gauge is.

I think it takes a lot of boon-docking in cold weather to burn up a tank. We've only filled one in 12,000 miles. So we just run a tank until it's empty, switch to the full reserve and refill the empty next chance we get.

The only problem I can imagine with this approach is when boondocking and leaving the trailer unattended for a long time. If the tank runs out when we're not there, we could lose our frig/freezer stuff. Maybe then both tanks could be opened for the duration. The full reserve would lose a bit, but as long as I remembered to close it when we returned, it shouldn't be an issue. The tanks should not equalize propane volumes when connected together (?).

EDIT: Tapping and wiggling the indicator may get it to adjust to a "truer" reading.