View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
This issue has been brought up a few times on this forum. Most manufacturers use 10G 0r 12G wire for the hot lead for charging the trailer batteries. This is obviously problematic due to the voltage drop, that you describe, while charging batteries and running the fridge.

I have heard of people using 8G wire and having good results. 2G wire seems pretty extreme. It's expensive, hard to work with and heavy.

Glad that it works well for you. I hope that it is protected on both ends with a 40-60A fuse.
Carolyn & Wayne,

I forgot to say I have fused the plugs on both the TV & TM as you recommend.

Although 2G sounds like overkill, I used it to get maximum charging since I want the batteries to be full up when I get to my site. As mentioned, I most often go to sites without electric and want to get my normal ten days(at least) out of my batteries before needing a charge. I have no problem getting this out of the 420AH total battery capacity I have installed(two 210AH lifeline batteries). I also can use the high charging rate to charge the batteries with the TV when at a no electric site should I need to. The TV becomes my generator - much quieter and no additional equipment.

The 2G wire is welding cable which is very fine strands and almost as flexable as a noodle. On the internet you can get it for approx. $1.50/foot. I needed 86 feet. You also need a lug crimper to attach the end connections which I already have.

Happy camping and take care,

Phil
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote