View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Mrfixit

We have had a 2720SL for about 5 months now and tow it with a V-6 Explorer with the 3.55 rear end. I upgraded to a class III hitch and added a larger aftermarket tranny cooler. We live in the piedmont area of SC and camp mostly in this area and the coastal areas. We travel lightly and typically go for long weekends, and have "had no trouble" so far. A bit sluggish on steeper hills, but I don't use overdrive while towing unless we're on flat land. If we head to the mountains (Blue Ridge), we'll probably tent camp until we upgrade the TV.

My biggest question before buying the TM was trailer wiring in the Explorer. Since it didn't come with a factory tow package, I thought I'd need to add to the wiring harness for brakes, battery charging, etc. After some research, I found that all Explorers since '02, regardless of tow package, have the full 7-wire harness installed (hidden). The ends are found behind the right rear taillight and behind the glove box. The Ford connector from Prodigy connects to the glove box end, while an adapter I found online extends to the hitch area from the taillight to complete the wiring to a 7-pin RV plug.

Hope this helps.

Skip
Gandy (Blue-Fronted Amazon Parrot)

'03 2720SL
Swing hitch, Roof AC, Attwood elect. tongue jack, Stereo, 2.5" lift kit, 15" Kenda Loadmaster Tires (Load Range D)

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.7 liter Hemi), Prodigy P2, Curt 600# WDH, McKesh Mirrors
Mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote