View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think you have answered a lot of your own questions. You might consider augmenting your knowledge by downloading and reading the Ford Towing Guide for your vehicle. Go to https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...06_default.asp. If your vehicle has a 3230-pound tow rating, it says you have a 4X4 with a 3.55 gear ratio.

In the meantime, let me address some of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
Does anyone have any experience or advice about towing a TM 2720SL (2865 pounds unloaded) with this vehicle?
Do you plan to tow it unloaded? Otherwise, I'm not sure where you are going with this question.

Quote:
The hitch is rated at 3000#, the vehicle at 3230#. If I load the TM up, it will exceed specs.
You will be substantially exceeding the vehicle specs. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Does it to you? Loaded, your TM will come up to 3600-4000 pounds, with a hitch weight well over 400 pounds.

Quote:
Should I change to a Class III hitch?
You MUST change to Class III hitch. This includes upgrading to a 7-wire electrical harness from the 4-wire harness that is in place.

Quote:
Should I use stabilizer bars?
No. But you must use a weight distributing hitch (WDH), which has spring bars.

Quote:
Does the low wind resistance of the TM change the towing specs in any way?
Not really. It changes how hard the vehicle must work to keep the trailer moving at highway speed on flat ground. But it doesn't change how much weight is carried on the rear suspension, how hard the drive train (particularly the transmission) works to accelerate it, how hard the brakes work to do a portion of the stopping, the stresses on the steering components, and so forth. Beyond that, you live in a part of California that is beautiful - but you will be doing a lot of mountain towing. Uphill grades and high altitudes are the toughest challenges for a tow vehicle, and most of the important challenges are different from low-altitude flatland towing, where tow ratings are derived.

Quote:
To go way out on a limb, I may be able to swap the rear axle for a 3.73 ratio, which, with a class III hitch, gives me a 5390# payload. Anyone have any experience with this probably stupid idea?
It is not a stupid idea at all - it is a good one. But it is expensive, especially since the vehicle has 4WD and you must change both front and rear differentials. Several years ago, the original towing expert on this forum had a V-8 Toyota Tundra which he loved, but he felt that for his purpose - solo towing in the Rockies - it needed help. He changed all of his gearing, and was pleased with the result - but he put a lot of money into it. You can read about some of it here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2591. Although Ray is no longer active on this forum, I recommend that everyone with towing questions like yours look up and read all of Rays' posts. He was singularly knowledgeable.

All of that being said, I expect (and I welcome) posts from members who will tell you that "I tow with a V-6 Explorer and I have no trouble". You have to make your own choices.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote