View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCampers View Post
Bill and rvcycleguy, thank you for your advice.

I decided to go ahead and call customer service for the Equal-i-zer hitch and talked to a technical rep there. He said that they do not know of any problems accomodating swing hitches but offered to help out if we encounter a problem. Worse case we can use the hitch without the sway bars to get the trailer home. We could then take photos and send them in to the tech rep to look at so they can recommend a workaround for getting the bars working. He said that cutting the bars would void the warranty so they would try to find another solution.

I was very impressed at how friendly and helpful they were!
Your welcome.

I will offer my experience with terminology. There is only one sway bar associated with towing. It's a friction clamp bar that generally mounts on the curb side of the hitch and TM A-frame. It has two mini balls with a locking pin. One on the WDH and the other on the frame. It's commonly referred to as an Anti-Sway bar. The opinions offered here are real life experiences and gained over many years of towing. There are no shortcuts in safe towing. Your asking the appropriate questions and have learned quite a bit as you've expressed already. Keep notes, do the same things each time you tow, don't be in a hurry when hitching up, maintain greater distances from traffic while towing, increase your braking distance, stay under posted speed limits, and understand you may be towing more weight than your tow vehicle weighs. That unequal relationship poses new issues you will be unfamiliar with for awhile. Utilize the electric brakes on the TM as the safe way to slow your tow vehicle. Without getting too technical, the trailer brakes should slow your truck in direct proportion to the amount of braking you apply. Just think about the weight? If you had no brakes on the trailer, the truck would be expected to stop your combo all the while, emerita, momentum from the trailer is pushing you down the road. Using the trailer brakes in proportion with the truck brakes greatly reduces stopping distance.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote