View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 12:39 AM   #12
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I have cables. I hate 'em. Several reasons.

First, the cables are covered in plastic. This means you can't see the cable, and you can't see any cut strands or debilitating rust. "Trust me", they say. "Under this good looking cover, I am still plenty strong."

Second, as you noted, LiveTicker, you are expected to set the length so they will support the trailer tongue off the ground if the hitch fails. But the length of the cables is not adjustable. Now what?

Third, I find that the springy-coiled shape is hard to maneuver - they are forever getting caught up in something. Like the springbar stubs. Which pinches, and eventually cuts, the strands of the cables.

In addition to the cables on my TM, I have a brand new unused set of cables sitting on the shelf. And the hooks even have safety clips, so they can't fall off. Anyone want to trade a pair of chains for my set of new cables? PM me.
Bill
My TM has the coiled safety cables with the hooks that have safety clips to keep them from bouncing out of the holes in the side of the receiver hitch. Sounds like what Bill described.

On my receiver there are two flat angled pieces of steel with odd shaped holes in them to receive the hooks on the cables. It is really a struggle to get the hooks through the holes and the clip closed. Then it is just as much trouble to get them off.

So...I went to Ace Hardware and got myself a couple of BIG shackles, or as Liveticker calls them, screw links. They are now swinging from those holes in the receiver hitch, and the hooks clip right on, and right off.

Now the DW does not have to listen to me gripe and moan while having to struggle with the hooks.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote