View Single Post
Old 08-07-2003, 10:33 AM   #9
efelker

Default Re:I tend toward the elegant and unexpected "camping" fare...

Yea, Pam -- get him!!!

Thought he could survive eating tree bark and cooking rock soup -- French Pressed coffee, oven roasted asparagus, cherries jubilee, not exactly what I'd expect to find in a rucksack. Hey Ray -- those aren't Birkenstock sandals you're wearing when you are mountain climbing?

Here's something else to consider for asparagus:
A couple of years ago I worked at the US Embassy in London. We lived about 3 tube stops from Oxford St (more stories I could tell from this experience). My wife took some cooking lessons at the London "Cordon Blu." She learned a really simple and great way to do asparagus.
Cook the stalks in a skillet with a little water. Don't overcook, be sure they are still "crispy." During about last minute or two of cooking, pour off the remaining water and edd equal amounts of olive oil, djon mustard, and maple syrup. (Use the "expensive" syrup in the small bottles, not the watered down stuff like Log Cabin). You'd never belive how great the combination of those three ingerdients in the sauce can be.

Hope Ray has room for the djon in the ruck sack.

Ray -- only kidding. You're pix that you've posted are great and confirms why we love camping. I'd love to have the finesse and stamina to be doing what you're doing.