View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 12:12 AM   #10
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4fun View Post
I’ll follow up on this idea. I was wondering a few things.
1. Does the booster constantly drain the 12v batteries or does it have an On /Off switch when in use?
2. Does the booster need a clear line of sight to your cell phones? I see a thick black wire coming out the top of the unit and wondered where that went too and what that functioned as?
3. There are times when we don’t get any cell signal in our tow vehicle. Can this booster- antenna combo do anything for the tow vehicle when moving or is it just a stationary setup device? And if it did work for the tow vehicle, how could it be turned on if needed when folded down.

Great dialogue, I really appreciate the new ideas to look into. Thanks !
In case you were asking about my set-up:
1. It runs on a wall wart (AC), so you would need an inverter to run on DC. On/Off switch, yes, but in use? I think it is always boosting the cell signal, whether anyone is using it or not, so if it's on, it's draining the battery. Output of the wall wart is 5.9v @ 2.8 amps
2. The black thing coming out of the top is the broadcasting antenna. Line of sight is not crucial. No issues inside the trailer.
3. It's important that you understand how this works. It takes a faint signal reaching the directional antenna on top of the trailer and amplifies it inside the trailer. If it amplified the signal enough to go outside and reach the antenna, then there would be a signal loop, which would not be helpful. I have set up the broadcast antenna as far away vertically and horizontally from the directional antenna as possible, and I keep the directional antenna pointed away from the broadcast antenna. So no, it is not going to help get signal to your tow vehicle. I have never seen anything that does that.

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote