View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We've only bought one new car in our lives as a married couple (and we're both over 50, married 29 years in February). We recognize the fact that cars, RV's, etc. depreciate A LOT in the first few years that you own them. We were looking to buy a Honda Accord 5 years ago, but we couldn't find a decent used one with low miles, so we bought new for less than what any of the used ones cost that we could find. So, buying new was more economical than buying used.

I never even considered buying a new TM. I just didn't want to spend that much on a trailer when there are other things that we still want to buy, like a tractor (still looking for that, too, just haven't made it a priority yet). If you shop and are willing to drive and wait for a while, you can probably find a good used one. The one we bought was 7 years old when we bought it, and it didn't even look like it had been used more than 10 times (if that). I know we got lucky, but there are good used ones out there. So many people buy them brand new and then they decide that they don't like to camp, someone's health changes suddenly, they want something bigger, etc., etc.

As far as I know, I just re-read my warranty, and it doesn't transfer to new owners. However, my TM model is now 10 years old, so maybe someone with a newer warranty can chime in here.

I really like our older TM and feel that it is built very well, with a lot of attention to detail, using good materials. We have absolutely no regrets, and I think that we could probably sell it right now for very close to what we paid for it three years ago.

If we had money to burn, then yes, it would be great to have a brand new one, so it looked a little newer, and had a few more gizmos, but for the difference in the price, I'm perfectly happy with ours. The insurance is less, the yearly licensing fees are less, and we're just as warm and cozy in ours as someone with a brand new one, and plus, NO PAYMENTS!