View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 09:18 PM   #5
BobRederick

I have a suggestion for purchasing anything second hand. Find all the for sale models similar to the one you want that you can. Newspaper, internet, RV Sales places, RV Trader, Local dealers, Google searches, etc. They don't have to be identical to what you want, just similar.

Record the model number, year, options and price.

Plot these on graph paper with cost on the vertical scale and year on the x-axis or horizontal scale.

I like to put this data in a spreadsheet (Excel). First column is year, second column header is model #1, third is model #2 etc. Fill in data as you find samples for sale. Here the models are similar. One is the model you want, like 2619. Then the spreadsheet will plot these for you automatically. You can add new data at the bottom of the listing as you continue to search.

When you look at the plot, you will see a sloped line forming for each model. Next you will begin to see those that stick out... some above the line, some below. Those above cost too much. Those below are bargains.

The advantage of this is that you don't have to find models just like you want to compare. The sloped line lets you compare various years. Adjacent lines let you compare different models. It will become real obvious when you find a bargain or if the one you are considering is worth it.

Remember, these are asking prices and options are not broken out. When you find something you like, the curve will be a tremendous help in evaluating price. Next look at the details like options and condition on the particular unit you have found.

Hope this helps. I use this method for all large purchases and have for years. The '04 TM I purchased in '04 was thousands of $$ below new with only a few months of use. It was $3500 below the same unit 100 miles away.

Bob