View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 03:04 PM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:thinking of trailmanor. Need help!

I understand your confusion, it brings back memories of when we first started. I spent thousands of dollars trying to make every thing safe and sound.

The basic question to start with is what is the maxium hitch weight your Highlander will hold. Then what is the highest weight the trailer will put on the hitch.

The breaking point is 500 lbs. If you can be sure that there will never be more than 500 lbs on the hitch you are ok there. (I don't think you can. . .will explain later)

In looking at your specks you list a payload of 1105. This is where the real problem come in. Start with the 500 lbs. that leaves you with a total of 605 lbs for everything else you carry including gas. Assuming you are small folks and there are just the two of you (he at 150 she at 125) that is down another 275 lbs giving us only 330 lbs we can carry minus the gas of a full tank. See where I'm going?
Camping means carting lots of stuff, you don't have the payload to do it.

Back to the trailer. What makes the TM so stable is that the wheels are set back a good deal from center which means that most of the weight you put in the trailer is going to end up split between the wheels of the trailer and the hitch. So even if you start with a hitch at or under the 500 lbs number when you add things in the trailer, like water, food, bedding, etc. you are increasing the weight you place on the hitch.

Now I really don't know what I'm doing but I think you would be asking for trouble down the road, when you least need or expect it, if you were to try to put these two together.

Anyone else see it differently?