Thread: We did it!
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Default re:lane change and backing up

Regarding lane changes and backing up.

Make sure that your mirrors are adequate for the job.

I recommend two tests:

1. Hook up the TM and park it somewhere in a straight line. Pace of around 300-350 feet behind the TM. I have read where someone reported that this is a legal distance of 300 feet in Wyoming. I have never looked it up. Can you see both mirrors? If not, then consider pushing the mirrors out further. You may need to purchase add on mirrors. Many of us like the McKesh, but there are others. Do a search.

2. Determine the maximum distance you can extend your mirrors according to your state laws. There are probably 2 documented distances:

a: maximum width of the vehicle, including mirrors. This is a mirror to mirror distance, as measured to the outside edge of each mirror.
b: maximum distance that each mirror can extend past the side of the vehicle.

When my daughter is following me, at a safe distance, in either her Subaru Impreza or Miata, I can see her in at least one of the mirrors.

Get the small spot mirrors. These are the curved ones that frequently say that objects are closera than the appear. I can see how close the TM tires are to a curb and I can also see traffic coming onto the freeway. I can also see how far I am ahead of the vehicle that I have just passed. It takes a little getting used to for awhile.

For backing into a campsite, the best person to guide me is my blind brother in law. I position him on the drivers side and have him hold his cane where I want the street side rear corner to be. I then position his other hand outward over the point where I want the rear of the TM to stop.

I aim for the cane. When the TM touches his hand he yells STOP.

Everyone else that tries to help me talks too much.
Welcome aboard.