View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #30
ThePair
TrailManor Master

UT - I think you have the opposite problem from most, if I'm reading you correctly: you need to lower the tongue to level a TM on your driveway/street, not raise it. And the issue, rightly pointed out, is that there is an absolute limit to how low you can go (the pavement, in this case).

I can think of two alternatives: One, pull the TM out, use the swing-away hitch (if you have one) to get the hitch/tongue jack out of the way, with the TM supported on one or two jacks--probably at the corners of the frame for clearance, but could also be potentially done with one in the middle, and then lower the front as needed. This will make the distance from axle to nose shorter by almost 2 feet, which will give you more allowance to lower the front to where you need.

Option two is more work and less likely to help, but it would involve making some kind of cut into the driveway to allow the tongue to dip into the surface and achieve level that way.

I think option one is better, assuming you have a swing-away tongue.

As to pulling it into the garage itself, I'm thinking that you could, again, try one of two things. Back it in, use the swing hitch and perhaps some kind of wheels added onto the flat part of the tongue after the nose is swung/removed--like the kind you can put on a rowboat gunwale to move it around. You would likely need some kind of winch at this point, since the tongue won't be attached anymore.

Conversely, you could put the TM in nose-first. Since the wheels are closer to the rear than the front, this would give you more leeway, and make Dave's calculations above work for you. For this, you'd need a winch (again) or the rear hitch receiver, which is listed as the bike-rack receiver. You could then make a bar to go into that to which you could hitch your TV and back it in that way. There should be posts on the boards here with someone else's experience in doing that, I kind of remember from a little while back. The added clearance this way should let you get it in (hopefully) without scraping. In addition, it seems that we are all fairly certain that you could level the TM if the nose is downhill, so that problem would be solved as well.

Me, personally, I put my TM in my garage nose-first. I have an uphill slope, like most, but the TM won't fit if I back it in. So, I put a winch in the back of the garage mounted to the floor, and I use it to get the TM up the driveway, past a small curve, and then into the flat part of the floor. I push from there. It's a very tight fit, but it does fit.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote