View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #26
boater454

I know this is a 2 year old thread but thought I'd throw in my $.02. I grew up with a 1989 19' Hi-Lo that my family took from Ohio to California 5 times behind a 1985 1/2 ton Chevy conversion van with a 305 V-8. It was underpowered in the mountains. I now have a 1997 TM 2518 that I pull with a 2007 Didage Grand Caravan V-6 or a 2003 1/2 ton Chevy Avalanche. My biggest reason for switching to to TM was less weight so I could pull it with my van. A few things I like better about the Hi-Lo: You can crawl in and grab stuff without putting it up. If you do need to put it up it only takes 20 seconds. The interior seemed to be a higher quality with better windows. More water storage - 40 gal fresh water. Dual axle is a plus and a minus better for a blowout but more weight and maintenance and cost for replacement tires.

Obviously I like the weight of the TM better and I like the 2 permanent beds. The Hi-Lo had a pull out couch, fold down bunk and dinette.

As of July 2010 Hi-Lo is out of business so don't know if they'll be available in the future.