View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Default The new baby is home!

We made it home with the trailer. Thank you all for your advice and answers to all my questions over the past week or so. The trip was 170 miles over the Cascades and through a major city.

Here is what I ended up doing. I had the wheel bearings packed before the trip but went with the 4 year old tires as they had recently been used to go about that distance to bring it in as a trade-in and I wanted to get it home to see if I can get it in the garage with 15” tires. I will get new tires before I put weight in it and take it out on a trip. I decided to bring along a set of old mirrors in case I needed them but ended up feeling comfortable without them. The place I bought it from helped me set the brakes but I think I would have been fine figuring it out from the directions that came with the Prodigy. I did not have a WDH as I wanted to see how it towed without one first.

The trip home was uneventful and the trailer towed beautify behind my new Tundra. I seemed to have plenty of power with the 4.6 engine, and barking was good. The real test will be when we are loaded for camping. The worst part was that during the break-in period I could only tow at 50 mph. Some 4 lane and slow moving vehicle lanes helped.

We are so relieved and excited to have it home so we can play with our new toy.

I realized last night there was one thing I forgot to take into consideration. The slant of the driveway. It is not extreme but will affect clearance getting it into the garage. Will have to clean out the garage before I will know if there is a problem. What is life without a challenge? I have some ideas if it will not clear but suggestions from anyone that has had this problem would be appreciated.
Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote