View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I second the comment that a lot depends on how your travel.

My 2720 weighs 3380 on the axle. I estimate the total weight at 4100 pounds.

But I am always fully loaded with water and a bunch of other stuff.

The general rule of thumb is that most people carry about 1,000 pounds of stuff. To reduce weight, take less stuff.

Use aluminum pots and pans instead of cast iron. Better yet, eat out.

Paper plates may weigh less than china.

Choose your clothes carefully. My wife probably does not need 4 pairs of choose for a weekend trip, but I am not going to tell her that.

I really do not need a fully stocked bar. I don't tell my wife what shoes to take and she does not ask me if I really need both bourbon and brandy.

It isn't just the weight. The longer the trailer is, then the longer the wheelbase of the tow vehicle should be. That will reduce the risk of sway.

You mentioned California. Towing in the Sierras, where I frequently go, may put a real strain on your transmission. Donner Summit is a bit over 9,000 feet. Some parts of I80 are a little steep. If you are towing with a company car that is replaced every two years then that is not important. If you own it, then you need to understand the wear and tear on the transmission. How often will you be towing? Once a year is different than every weekend.

For someone with a tow rating of 3,500 pounds, I would suggest the 2720 or 2619. Anything bigger and I would recommend a tow rating of 5,000 pounds.

But, if you travel light and don't mind wear and tear issues than give it a try.