View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Al-n-Sue

Default Wood rot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinmom View Post
I've read several places that around 2000-2002 that these models have wood framing instead of aluminum framing, and that there was some problem with the framing rotting away. Anyone had a 2002 model with the wood framing or does anyone have any experience with this? I'm really afraid of getting ripped off and getting home and going what did I just get myself into?
Thanks for any and all advice.
The issue with the wood framing is the potential for rot. If the trailer has been maitained and there have been no or few leaks, the wood should be in excellent condition. There are lots of pre-2003 TMs on the forum with no problems at all. 2003 was when TM started using aluminum framing instead of wood.

An easy way to check is to check a few screws that go into the framing and see if they hold. Or take one out and see if the wood is soft. Other posts on the forum can be more precise on how to do this check. A search on "wood rot" or "wood frame" should turn up something. also search on pre-purchase check lists - there are several.

Barring any issues with the frame, if the price is good then this would be a good way to move up from tent camping!

Good luck.