View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #24
PopBeavers

I re-read the recent posts regarding running the fridge on propane while the shells are closed.

I can not figure out why anyone would want to do that. Can you clarify the problem that you are trying to solve? There may be other solutions.

I have 4 different configurations that I run:

1. If I have shore power I use 110 volts.
2. If I am popped open in camp with no shore power I use propane.
3. When towing I use 12 volts. My TV puts out more than enough poser to both run the fridge and charge the pair of group 24 batteries.
4. This is my unusual configuration. When I am loading up the weekend before a trip and I wan to pre-pack as much as possible, I put non perishable items in the TM fridge, set it to 12 volts, park it in the garage and flip the switch to disconnect the batteries. On Wednesday, I reconnect the batteries and plug in to shore power. This allows me to unplug from shore power, hook up and leave. The fridge is plenty cold and is running on 12 volts. I can not see any advantage to opening the shells after I pull it out of the garage and switching to propane.

Clarly I am not seeing this the same way as others. Why propane on the road? The TMs are a 3-way fridge. TTs and MHs that only have a 2-way fridge would be a different situation.