View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #19
Traveler

Default Had Hi-Lo, now have 31' TM: Both nice

We started with the smallest HiLo, two kids, and two adults. Loved camping with the kids.

Yep, the 14' interior was 'cozy', but we loved the construction quality and ease of setup. Ditto easy towing (weight approx 2500 loaded). And, yes, I realize that I am comparing smallest to near largest - get over it.

Some garbage 'arguing points'/picky stuff:

1. Yep, HiLos weigh more than TM for the size.
2. HiLos are WAY more cool to set up - 20 seconds of hydraulic whine and you are there.
3. Making the beds: optional if you are traveling, otherwise no biggy.
4. Height towed about same as TM.
5. Bathroom privacy: unless you are entertaining the Queen of England - its OK. Dont be a prude!
6. Stove, fridge, AC, etc. are similar/same as TM - no big deal.
7. You can MANUALLY pump the HiLo up if no electricity, or can use 12 volt feed from vehicle, or if really energetic, pull battery out of car and replace HiLos (just kidding - never a need to do that, but you COULD)
8. HiLo operates on a cable system - never a worry about failure, adjustement, etc. Get over the fears guys.
9. HiLos are a bit better in build quality than TM in my humble, but correct, opinion.
10. HiLo sealing system between top/bottom halves is WAY better than TMs - no insect 'leaks'.
11. Using bathroom with HiLo top down is not possible. Why not do as we did for ten years and just flip the switch for 20 seconds and presto - bathroom!

OK, now for TM features and comments
1. Lighter weight, saves SOME fuel but not as much as you think - I know I've clocked both. The lighter weight advantage is primarily ability to tow more with smaller car/truck. Big advantage to some.
2. More storage space inside for same size as HiLo
3. Weird toilet, weird. (sorry - had to do that!) but fellow campers are amazed (or not)
4. Bathroom gives more privacy - as if you hadn't heard your other half make tinkle before.
5. Sorry, but the sealing flaps leave gaps and are a PITA.
6. Sides tend to bow on larger models. My opinion.
7. Set up does take longer, but again, get over it: 20 seconds versus a few minutes. They DO go out of adjustment (the up/down thingies) more easier than HiLos.
8. Air conditioner mount over bed (our model) is less favorable than HiLo ceiling mount. Model specific.
9. TMs being set up draw almost same attention as HiLos - both cool.
10. Sleeping space: depends on mix of kids/adults. Our TM will sleep 4 adults OK - more kids. HiLos will sleep more technically, but requires using table as bed. A draw.
11. Interior space is different: HiLos have narrower bottoms by about 8"-12" than tops as top nests over bottom. TMs seem larger/wider inside. Pshychological perhaps, but real.
12. Big deal for us (cold winters): draining for cold weather is simpler in TM. HiLo requires two or more valves set just right, draining just so, etc. Yep, you can do it, but forget just once...
13. Security: TM is a bit less secure, not counting people kicking in doors, etc. A skinny kid can get in one end. Not sure it matters; anyone wanting to get into either will find its relatively easy. I agree that a NRA sticker and loaded 45 trumps all. (never use a .380 auto as it may annoy someone). Yes I am trained. Yes I am LEO. [No, not if you are uncomfortable defending yourself though.]
14. TMs look more better, slightly, but that's just us.
15. Last and most important point: BOTH HILO AND TM ARE GREAT !

We enjoy both. I would not hesitate to buy a HiLo again, same for another TM (in fact the 31' m-a-y be a bit large for just two of us - kids moved away). We always talk to either TM or HiLo owners, and there is the same 'private club' feeling among all.

In short, buy either, chill, and enjoy! Hope to see you under the pines!

[No offense meant by my opinions. Besides, my DW gave them to me!]

Good campin'

Traveler