View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 11:26 PM   #14
PopBeavers

I have not been camping in severe cold weather, but what little I have experienced I have notice that the front shell seals against the bottom shell a lot better than the rear shell does.

The front shell connects to the bottom shell with flaps over the gap and then velcro to hold it in place. I do not feel very much draft through that.

The rear shell is loosely coupled to the lower shell. This is especially true if the rear shell bows at all. The lower shell is relatively rigid, but the upper shell can flex. In my 2005 M 2720 the connection between the rear and lower shell behind the bathroom works pretty well, but behind the microwave drawer and closet it is very poor.

If I was camping and suddenly it got sufficiently cold that this was a problem, as a short term solution I would apply duct tape on the inside between the rear shell and the lower shell.

There are two different issues to consider. One is insulation another is sealing against drafts. To me, an insulation problem primarily results in heat loss which translates into money down the drain because I have to run the heater more than I should. A severe draft primarily results in significant discomfort and I can't sleep. Duct tape as I have suggested will solve the draft problem. I think there is enough insulation at the connection between rear and lower shell. This is a draft problem.

The pool noodle or pipe insulation is a combination solution for the rear bed. I think that its primary advantage is to reduce draft, but it very likely also provides some insulation in a narrow area hat has essentially no insulation.

Sorry to ramble so much, I'm just thinking out loud.