View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 08:30 PM   #37
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
I don't like the McKesh mirrors. They vibrate. Based on comments from others I was expecting the vibration to be zero. This is what the factory mirrors deliver. At the race I checked out a similar truck that had the factory extendable mirrors. They are worthless. Extended out to the maximum setting they were still 3 inches too far in when compared to the distance I had selected for my McKesh mirrors. At least with the McKesh mirrors I could see behind me. It was just annoying that they jiggled so much. Also, the installation instructions don't warn you to loosen the three screws at the bottom of the mirror. The first time I attempted to adjust the mirror it cracked the glass. After loosening the mirror I could adjust it. However, it is difficult to find a screw tightness that is loose enough to allow adjusting the mirror and tight enough that it doesn't vibrate out of the adjusted position. This will become very annoying when we go on longer trips and alternate drivers. Every time we change drivers we will need to readjust the mirrors, which will require the use of an angled screw driver. I also don't think the bolt that attaches the mirror to the extension bracket should have arrived rusted. They should be bolts that can tolerate rain etc. Perhaps they should be stainless steel or galvanized. Not just cheap junk bolts with black paint on them. These bolts also wiggle loose. Maybe some locktite will help. The split ring washer was inadequate to hold one mirror in place. Driving home solo at freeway speed in heavy traffic I suddenly found that the passenger side mirror had swiveled so far out that I could not even see the glass mirror at all.
It took me awhile to find my own post. I knew that I had posted some negative comments regarding the McKesh mirrors. I have a positive update that I wanted to share in a rebuttal to myself.

I finally contacted the factory regarding the purchase of a mirror to replace the one I had cracked. I mentioned that I found the mirrors difficult to adjust when changing drivers. I find it necessary to keep the screws tight while driving and then loosen them to adjust the mirrors. When I did not lossen them before I adjusted them I cracked the glass.

The factory responded to my email with an offer to replace the mirror at no cost to me if I would pay the shipping. I was a little surprised because I had purchased and then broke the mirror back in April and just never got around to dealing with it until now. I think this was an excellent offer from the factory. The mirror arrived today.

I still am not happy with the amount of vibration I get in the mirror. But I am very happy with customer service.