View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We have a three car garage and store 2 cars and the TM in it. My challenge arises from the fact that the double garage door is on the left of the garage (facing toward the garage) and the single door is on the right. Unfortunately my driveway is aligned such that if you back straight in, you are perfectly lined up with the single door.

If the TM will even fit through the single door, it is with nearly zero margin, so I do not try this.

Instead I have to jog over while backing in and put the TM in the "center stall". Both other vehicles have to be out of the garage (and driveway) when I do this. Basically I have to turn to the right (facing away from the garage) as I back in to get the rear of the TM positioned for the center stall, but then it is at an angle, so I have to overshoot a little, then turn back so that it ends up in the right place.

I need a helper standing at the garage door pillar because I get extremely close to it in the process (in fact, part of the TM ends up BEHIND the pillar - I can not pull it straight out when I am done.)

After 10 years of practice, I am fairly good at it, and can back it in (with the helper watching) to the point that the front wheel jack is over the "rise" into the garage. I then put the wheel on and unhitch the TM. We push it by hand the remaining eight or so inches.

My TM is older and has the spare on the back. When I close the garage door, there is no more than an inch and a half between the coupler and the garage door.

I have also painted markings on the floor to show where the tires should end up. It does not really help me while I am backing, but it lets me know if I ended up in an OK spot so that the other 2 vehicles will fit in. If I am not within the paint marks, I have to pull out and adjust.

Good luck!!
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote