View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Hi, as you can see by my Avitar I have about the same setup with the garage except that mine is 2 ft deeper and opposite to your situation. The degree of difficulty depends how much of a slope you have to your garage floor. Mine drops 4 inches from back to front so that there is tendency for the tm to roll forward. What I do is to back the tm slowly ( the first time with a extra set of eyes) at a angle into the spot that I wanted it to end up. The angle of the tm being as small as possible with in my case the right hand side of the tm as close as was safe to the garage door tracks.

At that point the front of the hitch should be almost past the garage door and the rear of the tm still away from the side of the garage. I then chock both the front and rear of the left tire to prevent it from rolling and just chock the opposite tire in front. I unhitch the tm ( have put on the wheel on the front jack so that I can roll the tm ) and then push the front of the tm sideways on the hitch to park it parallel to the garage wall, chock the small front wheel and then chock both front and back of the right wheel. You should be far enough inside that you can close the door. In my case I have a folding hitch which I end up folding giving me an extra 2 ft. I can still walk between the tm and the garage wall although it is tight.

Once you have her where you want her then I marked the garage floor ( you can use anything such as duct tape or some paint ) exactly where the wheel hubs are and where the tire side walls are like a cross telling you where the tire that is visible to you will have to end up next time you back it into its spot. I now back it up myself without any help as I know where my drivers side tm tire has to end up and I know that nothing will hit the tm on the blind side. You can if you do not get the tm back far enough by chocking the tm the right way, jockey the tm further back into the garage by pushing the hitch left and right alternatively.

Hope I did not make this explanation as clear as mud and that it will help you the next time you have to park the beast. Remember the first time is the most important parking you make.

Regards Hans

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote