View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003, 08:49 AM   #2
Bruce

Default Re:TM 3023 and Chevy Astro Van

Cardsfan,
Looks like we have the same tv. Mine is a 96 Astro cargo van. The cargo van is great for just us two. No rear seats to hassle with and loads of room to haul bikes and camping gear. We get our tandem and 2 mt. bikes inside with room left over for camping chairs, extra food, clothes, etc.
A mini van is far superior to the ubiquitous suv in my opinion. The lower floor height yields much more interior space and a safer, more stable ride. 4wd is an over rated gimmick that is unnecessary for the vast majority of driving conditions and the extra weight cuts back on the overall towing capacity.
I towed our fully stocked (4800 lbs gross weight) 3124 out west, all the way up to the the Olympic Peninsula, down the Pacific coast and back to Fl, crossing many mountain passes, all with the stock 3.23 axle ratio! I eventually changed out the gears for a more tow friendly 3.73 but that little 4.3 Vortec can really haul the bacon!
Not having to purchase a huge, gas guzzling tow vehicle was the main reason we bought a TrailManor and the Astro van/TrailManor combo filled the bill quite nicely. Too bad GM decided to quit making the Astro. I guess they make more profit on their highly marked up suv's. ???

Bruce