Thread: Wdh?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I'm surprised Bruce....do you not get moved around when a semi truck passes? That was the big issue I had. I have to use a WDH with the built in sway control. Perhaps the Tundra wheel base is shorter than your Fords causing less stability???
I'm sure there's more sway with the upright Trailmanors, but it hasn't been a huge problem so far.

My previous truck (a Tacoma) had a stiff suspension but needed a WDH with a far amount of weight put back on the front axle to get decent handling under load. The WDH didn't have any sway control though.

The F150 has a softer suspension so I've added Heavy Duty shocks, LT-metric tires and a rear spring helper (Roadmaster Active Suspension), but it doesn't need the WDH as it's heavier (~6800# loaded for Florida, including tongue weight ) and has a longer wheelbase (145").

I haven't had any sway related issues with the F150, but can remember one or two times with the Tacoma where it was definitely noticeable. Typically there was a strong cross wind and a very fast, passing semi or bus blocked the cross wind and hit me with a bow wave at the same time (or something like that). But the Elkmont tracks so well (with the rear axle so far back and the high tongue weight) that the recovery was very fast, and it didn't bother me too much. It was tiring driving though, and it didn't happen on our maiden voyage .