View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 10:39 AM   #6
grampa

Default Re:Toyota 4Runner replaces Honda ODY

Hey guys,
I have a 1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5. The owners manual specifically does not reccommend using a weight distributing hitch. I asked the Toyota Dealer service manager and the service managers at the 2 RV dealerships in our area. They all seem to agree that the reason Toyota does not recommend using a WD hitch is this. My truck is rated at 4500lbs GVwr. it weighs about 3200lbs. with 2 people and full fuel. Putting 350 lbs on the bumper hitch is equivalent to putting 400-500 lbs in the bed of the truck. Hence, no WD hitch is needed. So they say. I have pulled a 3400lbs Coleman camper without a WD hitch and the truck settled 3-4 inches in back. It handled just fine, so I thought. Made a 2300 mile trip to tennesse and back to florida. Put i still liked the idea of a WD hitch. We used to own a dodge Van and pulled a 24 ft. Coachman with it. Had to have a WD hitch for that rig. so I installed a Reese Wd hitch on my Toyota Tacoma. Pulled the same Coleman camper with it and the differences were noticeable right away. The truck had more positive feel in steering and felt more stable on the interstate. I am glad i Got the Wd hitch.
We are now looking to buy a TM. 2619 or 2720.
The toyota Dealer said the WD hitch would not affect the trucks warranty. My truck is out of warranty anyway. Just dont exceed the Weight restrictions for truck, trailer, and the combined weight of the 2 vehicles.
Anyway I would not be without a WD hitch, for trailers of the TM size. They due make a difference. Despite what Toyota says.
Hope this helps.
Grampa