View Single Post
Old 10-04-2003, 07:07 PM   #1
k_and_p_camping

Default Dutch Oven Layered Enchiladas

:P
We usually use Dutch Ovens at least once each campout. Last week I made a great layered enchilada dinner in my Dutch Oven. The recipe was modified from a Lodge DO Cookbook, but you could use your own favorite variation. Basically you put a small amount of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the DO, dip a tortilla in the remaining sauce and place in the DO. Add a layer of meat (I used hamburger but chicken would be better) mixed with a little of the sauce, add some shredded cheese, and repeat the layering until you have enough. Cook with 2 times the number of charcoal on the top as on the bottom for about 30 minutes. Slice it like a pie for serving. Ummm.

Layered enchiladas are traditional in New Mexico and are easier to make than the rolled versions. You can buy enchilada sauce in a jar or use a package mix with tomato sauce. I cooked some onion with the meat, and I should have added some green chilis, but I forgot! Serve with a packaged Spanish Rice mix or a salad.

For a family of 4 we used 4 tortillas, 1 pound of hamburger, about 8 ounces of cheese, and a 10-inch DO. Scale up as needed. You could also make this in the TM oven, but we usually do our cooking outside.

Anybody else have some good DO recipes?

Pam S (who loves her Dutch Ovens)