View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

In my opinion (and it's only that, based on my experience), 21 inches is a pretty big TV for a TM. Perhaps an Elkmont needs something bigger than a folding TV needs, or perhaps you would consider stepping down to a 19-inch class. But there are other things to consider. A bit of research may make you a much happier camper.

If you rummage around sites like Best Buy or WalMart, you'll find that you can buy a 19-inch LCD 720-HD TV for a bit above $100. A similar 1080-HD TV is only a bit more. You will pay more than that for the inverter you are contemplating.

If you look for one that is Energy-Star rated, it will draw as little as 25 watts - considerably less than the 150 watts you are contemplating.

Some of them will operate directly from 12-VDC, eliminating the need for an inverter entirely.

If you insist on bells and whistles like Internet-ready, Ethernet-ready, a dozen different inputs and a dozen different outputs, volume levelling, the price increases, but IMO, a simple TV with a digital tuner should be adequate for camping.

You can get a TV with a built-in DVD player. I'm not sure of the cost impact, but if you watch DVDs on the road, it is worth considering.

Just my thoughts and experience. But I would say that an inverter in the 500-watt class is nowhere near your best solution, if TV is its only purpose.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote