View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #19
Steppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbiker View Post
Just curious, is there anybody else out there with a 2720 made prior to the axle change made in 2006 who happen to notice how much tire clearance they had prior to installing a lift kit?
I've got a 2004 2720SL which had its original 14" Marathons when I bought it a year ago last Dec. The tires were dry rotted and needed replacing. I found this great owners' forum and read about the 14" blowing out and how folks were installing lift kits and putting on higher rated 15" wheels & tires. I did precisely that. After pulling the original tires, I observed that the wheel wells had been worn through from the tires rubbing on them, even though there was an inch clearance which indicated the tires were bottoming out during transit. There was about an inch clearance between the tires and wheel wells then.

I replaced both wheel wells and installed the lift kit & 15" Maxxis. I now have 2 1/4" clearance above both tires and wheel wells. There is no indication that the tires have rubbed the top of the wheel wells at all. I took a 1900 mile round trip to New Hampshire and back last July and hit some pretty rough spots in construction zones but the trailer handled them well with the clearance it now has.
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Curt WDH Trunnion 800 # TW
Steppy is offline   Reply With Quote