View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default Marathon update

Here is a pic of the 221 week old Marathon that blew out on us. The middle tire is the spare with maybe 50 miles on it and the bottom is the street side with some where between 10 to 12 k miles. The street side would lose a pound or two of air over 6 months. The curb side, which blew, would loose a pound or two about every 2 months. Before leaving Valley of the Fires I added about 4 psi to the curb side and 2 psi to the street side. At Socorro I checked the feel like temps of both tires and wheels. They were both above body temp but not hot. After leaving the Walmart the curb side blew about 5 miles from Magdalena so the tires had traveled about 120 miles with two stops. Air temps were still in the 60's and I heard the tire blow with the truck windows closed and at a speed of 60 MPH. I am not aware of hitting anything but with one failure on four year old tires we replaced all three. The new tires are Durun 10 ply E load range and were made on 0812 so they had been sitting only about 5 weeks. Time will tell as these are a cheap China made tire. wmtire has no experience with these and suggest inflating to the sidewall press of 80PSI. I'll watch tread were over the next few thousand miles. I have been unable to find an inflation table for these tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMtires.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	7343  

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote