View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Tim is exactly right about tapping into the power to the outside running light. Don't do it, since your repeater won't work unless the TM's running lights are on - and they are powered through the headlight switch in the tow vehicle.

The power to the front reading lights is a much better choice. The lights themselves do not have to be on, but remember that there is a second light switch in the frame of one of the vents (many new owners miss this one). This switch WILL have to be on.

I agree 100% with Tim that you probably shouldn't undertake this unless you are confident of your ability. Meaning no disrespect, it doesn't sound like you are, so use great caution if you decide to proceed. The JEFA system is great, but expensive (I have one). If you smoke the repeater - and it would take only a momentary wrong connection to do it - then you will not be a happy camper. As Tim suggested, you really should have a multi-meter, and know how to use it.

I asked JEFATech the same question about alternate power, since I won't always have AC power when boondocking, and I don't want to use an inverter. They gave me the same answer as they gave you, and I am completely happy with that answer. BUT there is an alternative to hard-wiring to the 12-VDC source. I was wandering around an old radio flea market a month ago, and I ran across an adapter cord with a 12-volt cigarette-lighter plug on one end, and a plug that matches the repeater on the other. COOL! Now I can put the repeater's AC power supply back in the box, and use the new cord instead. I am sure you can find this cord online - I will help you if it meets your needs.

This cord won't do you much good if you put the repeater in the cabinet above the couch. I am considering putting mine in the space above the refrig, next to the radio, and running the cord out through a small hole so I can plug it into the existing cig receptacle next to the refrig.

Just a thought.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Repeater cord .JPG
Views:	82
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	6921  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote