View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #24
rumbleweed

I have collected all the pieces to add a vent to mine and will do it when the weather warms up.
I found that a 1.25" pvc fits snugly into the vent hole once you pop out the plastic cap. The existing cap and plug on mine just press in. I plan to have a short piece of 1.25 pvc going into the vent hole, the other end will have a 90 degree angle to go out thru the side of the TM. Make sure the short piece of pvc is short enough to allow the bed to slide forward for closing. I have a marine 1.25" Thru-Hull fitting (see photo) that will mount in the side of the TM ( Large flange outside) . The flange on the fitting is thin enough that the shells can close with out interference. I then have a length of 1.25" corrugated plastic hose that will fit into the exterior flange opening and will attach to the top edge of the rear shell with a small clip. You can add a simple vent cap or fancy vacuum cap on the top end. For short trips or cool weather when the windows are not open I plan to eliminate the vent hose. Unless you get a very hard sideways rain, no significant water should enter the side vent and even if it does, it will go into the toilet. . I think the total cost of the parts is under $20. You might want to reposition the flush switch to the other side of the Thetford as it will be close to the vent.
Attached Images