View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #19
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
Couple of questions for wmtire.

Bobby,

if i go from my load range D tires(That TM recommends keeping at the max 65psi cold pressure) to a load range E tire, should I again go with the max pressure(80psi old pressure)?

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that all of the rubber pop-in valve stems sold in the USA have a max pressure rating of 65psi. Is this true?

Thanks, Tim
On the air pressure question, it depends. You should go with the max pressure for the specific load range of each tire, if you want to carry the tires maximum load. If you run less than maximum psi, then the tire cannot carry the maximum weight it is designed for. There are charts that will show how much weight you can carry at what air pressures.

Several of our members who are running 10 ply rated tires (myself included), run less than maximum pressure for that load range (80 psi) to help soften the ride somewhat.........but always remember that you cannot carry the maximum load for what the tire is rated for, by running less than maximum psi. You have to account for this .

Another thing, is some tire manufacturers recommend that you ALWAYS run the maximum pressure for whatever the trailer tire is rated for. Carlisle 'emphatically' states they won't warranty any trailer tire that has been run on less than max air pressure..............even though they have tire load/inflation tables that show the carrying capabilities when running less than max. I bet there is lawsuit or two somewhere behind that. You can read this on page 7 of the following pdf link from Carlisle.

http://www.carlisletire.com/product_...are_safety.pdf

On the valve stems, yes, the standard TR413 snap in rubber valve stem is rated for 60-65 psi maximum. You can get a TR600 High Pressure snap in stem that is rated for 100 psi.

Many members who are running the high ply tires (especially those rated above 65 psi) are opting for the metal clamp-in stem........for the fact it lasts longer, takes higher pressures, and will accept the screw-on-type tire pressure monitoring transmitters without bending over during driving (due to centrifugal forces).

We touched a little on all of this in the thread link below.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=11366

Hope this helps.