View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Scott O

I would use the bleach first as it is probably the easiest. Add a half quart of bleach to a full water tank. Open all faucets until you get the bleach smell in the water coming out, especially the hot water. This will allow the bleach water into the water heater. Let it sit for 4 or so hours, then drain the tank, refill with clean water, and purge the lines and hot water heater. Drain the water tank, and repeat the purging steps. Should be clean by now. Some of us have added a marine deck plate to the top of our water tanks to allow them to be thoroughly cleaned periodically, although I doubt if this would help your problem. However, you will be amazed at the amount of stuff which has accumulated in the water tank. And by the way, I assume you thoroughly cleaned the hot water tank when you replaced the anode rod. When the rod deteriorates, a sand-like substance is deposited on the floor of the tank.

Also, make sure your refrigerator is working. A rotten egg smell is a classic indicator that there is a coolant leak and the refrigerator is toast...