View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert_Baehr View Post
Thanks for the replies, Mr A and Bill.

I suspect that the towing weight limit in Europe may be higher because towing speeds are lower - 50mph (and enforced stringently!) European travel trailers tend to be far lighter than those in the US (ac is almost unheard of, for a start.)

The Volvo has a built-in anti-sway system - which would probably help a bit. The comments on Volvo towing were interesting (The XC 90 is the 60's big brother.)

I will contact Volvo and talk to them about it, but as you both suggest, even if I can get a towing package which increases the permissible tongue weight, it's likely that the towed weight will put a lot of strain on the towing vehicle. (The XC60 has a tiptronic gearbox, so I'm not stuck with an automatic transmission but even so, it would probably be hard work.)

Given that I would be using the trailer for recreational purposes, making life difficult by assembling a rig which is difficult to drive would defeat the object.

I did consider a RAV4 with the 3.5 engine, but the short wheelbase put me off.

Thanks again for your replies,

Rupert
May I put in my 2 cents worth?

A tow package does NOT increase the tongue weight limit. It usually consist of a larger alternator, an external or bigger build-in transmission cooler and the wiring harness needed for hooking up the trailer. And the anti sway system you mention is for the tow vehicle (Volvo) only. TM has placed the single axle on their trailers further back than other manufacturers. This placement acts as a sway stabilizer on the trailer, which is what will be “swaying” under certain conditions and speeds. Also since most cars and SUV’s today are front wheel driven, you’ll pay for the extra wear on the front wheel tires if that 500 lb weight is put on the rear of the vehicle. Remember that the hitch is also a fulcrum. The further rearward the weight is the less it takes to lift the front end. Listen to the members above they have it right.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote