View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #33
luvmymanor1
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
One tire can be significantly hotter than the other if it's in direct sun, when you're on the road or in a parking lot. I think the hubs are more resistant to significant temp differentials with sunlight, but I could be wrong.

This is where a temp/pressure tire monitor comes into play. You start to quantitatively identify what good/bad temps and pressures are so you know when you're safe and when you have a potential problem.

If you are confident in your bearing job, and you are certain you seated the bearings and then backed off on the nut, I don't think I would pull the bearings. With 92 degree temps, those tires are going to be very warm, especially in the afternoon when the sun has had a chance to heat up the road surface.

I'm also not sure how helpful stopping every 2.5 hrs is. My guess is you'd probably have to sit for at least an hour in 92 degree ambient temps to get appreciable cooling, if you park in the shade, and then they're going to heat right back up again after 20 min on the road. But I could be wrong.

Dave
I'm very confident in my bearing job as I have done them befor. i feel i do know what to look for when inspecting them... in fact I brought it to the auto parts store with me when i removed them and was going to replace them becouse its one of those "you might as well just replace it"... however when I got to the parts store the mechanic there said those bearings look real good and I agreed. said no need to change them. now that does not mean nothing happened to them during the three blow outs that occured. in fact more than likely something would happen at this moment when the rim hit the ground.

You are absolutly right about the time it took to cool the bearing down. about an hour in the shade and I'm sure that it heats up quickly but expansion/contraction is a good thing rather than constant expantion for extended periods of time on metal parts. People dont realize how much expantion occurs at temp. that alone puts tremendouse stress. The bearings however have play for this very reason though. Anyway, I purchased a small sized greece gun and loaded it with some good marine greece so we shall see.
I am a cheating freeloader. I have signed up for a Free Trial Membership 8 times under different names. I have received much thoughtful help from the forum members, but I am not grateful. I will not pay my fair share of the board expenses. I think you should pay it for me. You guys are suckers.
luvmymanor1 is offline   Reply With Quote