View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
pauloh

I have tried some brute force without success. I called Reese (or whatever corporation owns them I forget, using the 800# on the instructions). They answered in about 8 minutes. They want me to return it (to Amazon) or if that won't work, call them back and "we'll work with you". The box was destroyed in shipping here and returning to Amazon probably won't be an option as it was over 30 days ago (my fault for sitting on this project so long). Reese stated that without seeing it they can't resolve issue. Offer to send photos was politely ignored. Helpful, but distant I guess you could say. One problem (also of my own making) is that I'd like to take my TM on the road in 10 days and don't really have much time for exchange. So am thinking of ordering another hitch, a different model probably, just to get moving. However, I may try grinding a little off the top pin first. Makes me a little nervous but it may not take much, hard to tell.

Your photo (thanks!) looks like you have total easy clearance for inserting your trunnion compared to what I am seeing. When I am in this position, either the top pin hits way too early, or (if repositioned slightly) the inside "shoulder" of the trunnion below the top pin hits on an protrusion at the opening of the groove. I may grind slightly on both and see if I can get in. It does look close.

If you have the time, kindly check yours for a couple things:
1. The top pin on my trunnions is slightly rounded, while the bottom pin is almost perfectly flat (it slopes a bit but is flat). True on yours also? Your top pin looks flatter than mine (though mine still has paint involved there).
2. The distance from top of top pin to bottom of bottom pin is 4.5 inches.
3. The distance (approx.) from bottom of the hole for the top pin, to the top of the hole for the bottom pin, is about 3.5 inches. It is therefore an inch "short", though I recognize the tilt of the trunnion going in should get around this to some degree (just not in my case, apparently).

Thanks once again. I thought setting the chains and the rest of setting up the WDH was going to be the hard part....
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote