View Single Post
Old 08-20-2003, 06:53 PM   #13
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Camping in the Intermountain West vs elsewhere in the nation...

Windbreaker wrote:
Quote:
Do you know if they ever paved the Wolf Creek pass?
Oh my. Yes, Wolf Creek Pass has been paved for at least 22 years (I personally went over it as far back as '81 on my motorcycle). Wolf Creek Pass is how US Highway 160 crosses the Continental Divide between Alamosa and Pagosa Springs, thence onward to Durango. It is indeed a tough pass...the Wolf Creek Ski Area at its top gets more snow than just about any other ski resort in the state (something around 400 or more inches of snow each winter). And to the best of my knowledge, it is the only highway route in the state that had to have concrete avalanche sheds built to deflect snowslides over the road to avoid closures. In the winter, one nasty crossing of the CD. But also a fairly major east-west route.

Quote:
Dad use to tell us stories how they would have to back up over some passes because the gas flow in the early cars was gravity feed and if you went up front first the carberator would be higher than the gas tank.
Yep. I can recall my parents relating similar stories when I was a kid. Either gravity feed or a weak fuel pump.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote